Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How Vain Are Writers?

     What is it in us writers that make us do it? That’s easy. I write because I like to write; it’s a hobby. I genuinely want to know what will happen to the characters I create. But why do we share what we write? Why bother putting it out there? Is it just vanity or is there something else there?

     I think that no matter what, writers are vain. How else can you explain the idea that whatever it is you write should be read by millions of people? The idea that what you have to say is valuable enough that people should pay to hear it is vain.

     But is it vanity alone? I think that there is also a little bit of insecurity in the mix as well. At least for me. At this stage I’m still incredibly unsure of my ability. There are the rare days when I feel really good and I think “Yea, I’m doin it!” and others when I feel like shit and think “What am I even doing?”. Most of the time though, I’m oscillating between the two extremes. So yes, part of what I want is to be reassured of how freaking awesome I am.Pathetic, I know.

     That being said, I don’t just do it for the kudos. While those are great, in the end, I share because I really do like my stories and I think that they are worth reading…although I haven´t quite reached the million mark yet.

     So what is it? Vanity? Self delusion? Neediness? Does it really matter?    

No comments:

Post a Comment