Friday, November 11, 2011

Still kickin.....

So I´m not dead and I haven’t given up on writing or writing a blog for that matter. I’ve actually been pretty focused on writing. I get it, I need practice. But I have to say I’m starting at a good place; I’m not a bad writer and I have good, original ideas for stories. Is this ego or honesty? I think it’s honesty, as I’m not particularly egotistical. Then again, if I were, would I know it?
I found a great website (and some not so great websites) that have been really helpful so far. I’m going to forego talking about the bad ones, since they were free and I didn’t actually lose anything by joining. So here is the best little website I have found so far:

Critique Circle
     Once I started writing I realized that I needed advice and suggestions as to how to improve. I’m currently living in Spain so joining a local critique group would be difficult if not impossible.  After a quick google-search of critiquing websites, I found “Critique Circle”.
     So the dealio with this site is that you register and critique stories from your fellow writers. For each critique you give, you get a certain number of points, depending on the length of the story and then length of the critique you give. You then use those points to “buy” a slot in the following week’s story queues. Once your story is added to the queue, it is available for critiquing. The critiques are first reviewed by the administrators so that mean or excessively harsh critiques aren’t sent through. Honest, even brutally honest, critiques are fine but never to the point of abusive.
     This website is exactly what I was looking for. The general feel of it (so far at least) is that it’s very supportive and encouraging while honest and helpful. For the most part, the people who are actively critiquing and submitting stories take writing fairly seriously as opposed to a hobby. It’s great to get an unbiased, objective opinion about my work. In other words,  not from my husband or sister.
     The only downside to critiquing (in general, not just the website) is that it can at times be discouraging. Times like that, you really have to focus. Or meditate. Or medicate.
     There are also the people that don’t really want to get criticism. I suppose they join just to hear how good their story is. After a few critiques, from yourself or others, you learn how to weed-out the advice you’re given. If have to have a really good sense of your own writing to come out of a critique unscathed, I think. I’m not quite there yet but I´m working on it.
     Do you have any other sweet finds in regards to writer’s websites? Feel free to share in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment