Friday, January 13, 2012

The Hardest Genre to Write

I think it would have to be comedy. If you’re going to write something funny, first you have find a way to make a situation funny and next to write it in a way that the reader also finds funny.  Or at least gets that it’s suppose to be funny.
It sucks writing something you find hilarious only for the reader to think it’s sad or cruel (at least I imagine it would). I guess that’s the fine line dark comedies walk. 
It’s also really hard to write a punch line. I suppose it’s easy for someone who is naturally hysterical, but that’s not me. I’m funny, yes, well kind of, but I don’t always know why. 
I guess the trick is to write whatever tickles your particular fancy and if other people appreciate it then all the better. But isn't that the way with all writing? Write for yourself and you'll always have an audience and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment