Sunday, January 29, 2012

Writing Challenges!!!!

Ugh, for being a woman, I’m horrible at multi-tasking. 
I haven’t been posting on my blog lately because I’ve been writing another novella. I tend to have my blinders on when I’m writing something. Great for being a writer....bad for being a blogger.
I also have a couple challenges coming my way that I was trying to prepare myself for. The first being a new NaNoWriMo- like challenge. Not official like NaNoWriMo, I don’t think it’ll have a webpage or anything but still. I only started writing seriously in November so I came too late to the party to be involved in it but I really liked the idea. For those that aren’t familiar, it stands for National Novel Writing Month and the challenge is to write 50K words in November. 
So, I was recently skimming KindleBoards and saw a new challenge for February, write 60K words in 29 days. EEEEEEK!
Okay, if I thought NaNoWriMo was scary...this is crazytown.  Once you break it down though it’s only 2069 words a day. Normally, I write between 1000 and 2000 words a day but mostly only because I’m bloody lazy and love to dick around on the internet for hours. So...if I just cut out a little bit more internet-time-suck then I’ll totally be able to do it.
Right?
Hello???
Anyway, the other challenge I had in mind was Blogging A-Z in which you write a blog everyday of April, except for Sundays. Each day has a letter (starting with A) that you have to base your post on.
Again, I really liked the idea when I first heard it and immediately started planning for it. But now, after not really posting much in the past month because I was so task focused on writing a book, I’m reconsidering. After all, I want to be a writer, not a blogger. I blog because I enjoy it, not because I want to make money off it so I don’t think it’s a good idea to turn it into something I’m forced to do. Also, I really don’t want the blog to turn into “Oh look what stupid post she put up now so that she can get through a challenge she’s only half-assed committed to”.  No one wants to read that blog. 

4 comments:

  1. Challenges are good, they push you to do things. If you enjoyed NaNo and made it through, move to the next level try the February challenge. :) I often find that the best part about NaNo is the amount of focus it makes me put on writing. Without the challenge looming over my head, I'm must more likely to wander the internet or burn my creative energy elsewhere.

    Good call on the month-long blog challenge. Fun, but yes, extrememely wearing. At least I found them to be. Better to write everyday than blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually do NaNoWriMo. I only heard about it half way through so I was too late unfortunately :( That's why I'm so keen on doing this thing in Feb. And hey, the Feb challenge is harder so if I can do that, then NaNo 2012 will be a sinch :)

      Delete
  2. Would definitely love to step up to this 60,000 words in February challenge. Lord knows I need it. I'm waaay behind on my writing. Was planning on writing at least 24,000 words this January, but so far I only have one tenth of that. Best of luck.

    Michael Abayomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea you should! Good luck if you decide to give it a shot :)

      Delete