Monday, January 9, 2012

Ooops...there it goes

Does a story ever just get completely away from you?  Like, you start off writing something that you think is going to be totally, awesomely, A and then, eventually...over a period of paragraphs, it starts to feel a little more B-ish...and before you know it, the damn thing’s become full-blown C?
God I hate that! Take this damn story I’ve been writing for weeks now...It started as a writing prompt “Write a story about an uninvited guest showing up at a party”...awesome! I had some great ideas and I finally went with a funny story about unrequited love. It was going to be good. But then I started listening to a lot of Moist (as stated previously) and that shit’s anything but funny. So, feeling all dark and tortured, the story took on this new, sad...dark and tortured edge that I just wasn’t digging. I’ve since erased all that nonsense and gone back to my comedic roots (the stories comedic roots that is).
The trouble is now I don’t know where the hell to take it. I’m seriously stuck, I don’t know what the hell to do with these characters and even if I did, I don´t know if I’d want to. I’m just a little fed up with this story and I think we need to take a break. Give eachother some breathing room. See other stories.
Does that happen to anyone else? That you spend so much time trying to keep a story on track that any interest you had in it just dissolves?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it happens. Give yourself time, go read other stories and do something else, but keep on thinking about your story from a new angle. Then give yourself a break but let the story stay with you. You may end up coming up with new exciting ideas for your story. At least, that is what happens to me. The mind is really fascinating. Imagination is endless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, that's what I'm doing. I hate not finishing something, especially when I've worked so hard on it but I can't force myself to write something I'm just not feeling anymore. Hopefully I'll feel differently after a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete