Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Thing With Poetry

I heard once that poetry is great to write and murder to read. I both love and hate this idea. I love it because it’s kinda true and hate it for the same reason.  A lot of poetry is so chock-full of allusions and vague metaphors that a huge amount of research and speculation (or presumption) is required to make heads or tails of it. And that just isn’t my bag.  I’m never going to be someone who sits down and invests a whole wack of time on something that I don’t even know is good or not.  I know, it’s probably my own loss.
     Unfortunately, that’s not all. It would be easy if I could just say, “Nope, sorry, poetry just doesn’t do it for me.” But the fact is, I like a lot of poetry...it does in fact do it for me. Only a particular type though. I hate the flowery stuff. I hate the convoluted stuff.  Just say what you want to say without bringing your cousin’s neighbor’s pet octopus into it and expecting me to understand the reference. Because I don’t.
     That being said, I do like writing poetry. Maybe it’s too simple for some people but that happens to be why I like what I write. So there. Take this for instance.

The names of lovers and losers
litter the walls and stalls
Scribbled in pen and passion
Scratched with pins and sins
Whispered in ink and
hushed in paint
Ever remembered though long erased.

     I quite like it. I know I’m not supposed to say that since it’s mine but it’s true. I usually feel pretty proud once I finish a poem. Unlike when I finish a short story at which point the overwhelming feeling is usually frustration or disappointment or general self-loathing, but that’s another story.
Do you want to know what the underlying message in this poem is?
     Nothing.
     This a poem about people writing shit about each other on bathroom walls. It sucks and no matter how much paint is used to cover it up, the person will never forget it.  I think (and correct me if I’m wrong) that part is pretty clear. Does that make it bad? For that matter, what makes a poem good? Maybe I’ll enjoy it more once I know if it’s good or not. 

1 comment:

  1. I think the issue is that some people just write poetry for catharsis, then they expect other people to be interested in their poetry (despite the fact that they weren't really considering the audience in the writing process). I took a couple poetry seminars in grad school, and, as an academic discipline at least, poetry seems to be moving away from the convoluted stuff. Anyway, I'm with you. I love/hate that saying for the same reasons as you.

    ReplyDelete